Sunday, December 8, 2013

Colleen's Cookies Caife - December 7, 2013

Later the same day that we had breakfast at The Nest, we met to find copies of a book that I had purchased for Wendy for her birthday.  We highly recommend Good Night St. Louis by June Herman and Julie Dubray.  The book is so delightful that we both wanted additional copies to give as Christmas gifts and because it is available in local shops, we set out on our journey.  Initially we were headed to Left Bank Books, but because I knew that Colleen's Cookies had copies in stock and we were close to Clayton, we made quick decision, one that we didn't regret, to see what else Colleen's had to offer.
 
Opening the door to this delightful establishment was worth the trip.  The bakery smells were competing with the lunch smells -- it was wonderful. 
 
I ordered the 1/2 Turkey Avocado BLT with the Broccoli Cheddar Soup.  Both the sandwich and the soup were great, but I passed on my soup to Wendy in order to eat half of the salad she ordered!  The Potato Cake Salad, odd sounding I know, but it was the highlight of my lunch.  This extraordinary salad consists of a potato cake made with cheddar cheese, jalapeno and bacon and that is covered with mixed greens in a BBQ vinaigrette.  I couldn't figure out the ingredients in the dressing, but it was great and the potato cake added a lot of flavor to the salad which was served with a piece of bread that was a lighter version of Door County (Wisconsin) Bakery's Corsica Bread that is actually baked in a pan of olive oil.  I asked about the bread, they said that it too is baked in oil.  I liked it so much that I bought several pieces to go.

Wendy had the ham and cheese sandwich that is served on a pretzel roll.  Honestly, I was so busy watching the other patrons and trying to decide if I was going to buy a cookie or not, that I didn't pay any attention to her sandwich. 
 
I also purchased the Man-wich sandwich for my husband, but as I've said before he is rather picky so I ordered it without the garlic mayo and Dijon mustard.  It was served on a fresh roll along with a bag of chips.  He said it was good, but had to add two slices of American Cheese which I don't think is even real cheese.
 
I did get two cookies.  Death by Chocolate which I ate today -  it was good and the toffee hazelnut cookie that I am saving for later.

Wendy bought a peanut butter cookie which was actually two peanut butter cookies that where held together with peanut butter icing that tasted like the icing my mother would sometimes put on brownies.

Overall, Colleen's Cookies is a destination that we would return to.  To visit, their address is 7337 Forsythe.

No comments:

Post a Comment