Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Nest - December 7, 2013


It wasn't Tuesday, but it was good.  Wendy and I had an early morning errand to run and decided to try one of the newest restaurants in St. Louis.  Actually, this one is located in upscale Frontenac in the county.  It is located north of Highway 40, just West of Lindberg next to Grassi's at 10440 German Blvd. 
 
The Nest has a different environment than any restaurant I've been to here or elsewhere.  The brain child of Christina McHugh, this delightful woman has thought of almost everything for not only great food and beautiful environment, but she has included a space for children!  Not one of those little rooms off to the side for families, but classes for the children, on-site child care (two hour max. per day) so that both parents and children come away satisfied. 
   
I'm well past the age of being a mother to a small child, but as a grandmother, I can't say enough about The Nest.  Can't wait to take my little prince an art class or the class entitled Superhero Training! 
 
What I can speak of was the delicious breakfast Wendy and I enjoyed.  I started with the best vanilla latte (Nest Signature Vanilla Latte) said to be made with coffee bean and tea leaf vanilla powder (whatever that is), blended with espresso and organic steamed milk.  It comes in two sizes, 12 oz. or 20 oz.  The 12 oz. is served in totally feminine coffee mugs (a suggestion would be for The Nest to offer the mugs for sale) and the 20 oz. in a to go cup.  It was so good that it was difficult to resist ordering a second to go.  Wendy had a Chai Latte that she also enjoyed.  The baristas (the girls in the cute aprons behind the counter were not only knowledgeable about the drinks, but offered suggestions for breakfast, too.

Wendy couldn't resist the Monkey Bread, a gluten free biscuit dough with cinnamon and sugar, topped with a glazed banana.  The Monkey Bread was good, but not the highlight of my breakfast.  I LOVED the Breakfast Salad with Poached Egg.  Served on rosemary red potatoes that had been sauteed to perfection, there were greens dressed with olive oil, grilled asparagus, tomato, salt and pepper and a slightly overcooked poached egg.  The menu says that the salad included avocado, but none was found and although I think it would have been a nice addition, it was not necessary.  This healthy breakfast was great tasting and satisfying.
 
Wendy ordered the Sweet Potato Hash with a fried egg.  The hash included tiny chopped pieces of sweet potato, pieces of red peppers and onions along with tri-colored carrots that I thought were turnips.  Wendy would have liked a second egg and I would have liked the sweet potatoes to have been chopped in larger pieces.  Regardless, the flavor was great.
 
Because we were instructed to pay when we ordered and by using my credit card to pay, I signed for my meal on an Ipad (maybe it wasn't an Ipad, but it was an electronic device), I didn't leave a tip so that I was "forced" to purchase a scone on my way out as I had no cash and wanted to express my appreciation for the meal and the great service with a tip.  Haven't tried the scone yet, it will be breakfast tomorrow.  I think Wendy purchased a cookie, but don't recall.  We both wanted to order smoothies to go, but it was only 18 degrees and both of us knew better!!!
  
For more information on this great location, call them at 314-942-3521. 

No comments:

Post a Comment