Tuesday, December 3, 2013

61 Roadhouse and Kitchen - 12/3/2013

Photo

61 Roadhouse and Kitchen, Webster Groves, MO

By far the best meal we have had!!!  Not only was the food good, but the service was terrific. 

Wendy's first choice for tonight (since the waitress last week was too busy to even refill our water, we didn't ask her opinion on where to go this week) was Vin de Set.  It looks good, too, but much fancier than I was willing to dress for tonight.  So, I picked 61 Roadhouse since I had seen it on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives (although we have visited other places that Guy has been too and not been impress). 
 
Since we always arrive before 6:00, we were able to get in on the buy one, get one free appetizer specials that they offer during Happy Hour and while both of us would have liked to have had a drink, Wendy goes to work after we eat and I was driving. 
 
Back to the appetizers, we ordered:

Arancini - traditional rice balls that were made with Andouille sausage and served with a Creole sauce that was one of the few things I was impressed with.  We gave up on the sauce and used the best thing on the table - more on that later - instead.  The Arancini were small, almost bite size, and not my favorite of items although Wendy loved them.  I'm not a big rice fan, so it was no surprise that I found many other things that I liked better.
 
BBQ Shrimp - the best thing on the table as far as the appetizers were concerned.  I could have been happy with just this for the meal.  Served with French bread and in a sauce made from Worcestershire and herb butter, these shrimp will probably find their way into my dreams!!!  The sauce was what we used for the Arancini - So GOOD!!!
 
Cajun Potstickers - a light starter that would have been great as the only appetizer (we feel that we owe you a bigger picture than one appetizer -- in other words, a good excuse to try a variety).  These little dumplings are served with Creole soy sauce.  I'm not sure if it was the sauce or the Sambal Chili sauce inside the little pockets, but something packed a little heat.  They were really good, too.
 
The Roadhouse Skins were the typical potato skins only huge and stuffed with pulled pork and cheddar cheese.  The pork was in barbeque sauce that was sweet and good and made a potato skin worth eating.  The serving was huge and the leftovers along with a few of the Arancini will be Wendy's dinner in the middle of the night tonight.
 
We ordered a Bayou Salad with the dressing on the side.  A great decision for several reasons.  The biggest reason was that I was stuffed by the time the salad arrived and the second reason, Wendy doesn't like Gorgonzola (I love it and couldn't wait to try the Balsamic Vinaigrette Gorgonzola Cream dressing) and she wanted to try the House dressing (a Parmesan Cream).  Both dressings were amazing based upon the two green beans I dipped into them to taste.  The salad will be my lunch tomorrow!!!
  
We also split the stuffed chicken (Wendy and I each ate one little piece and the rest will be a meal tomorrow).  The chicken was breast meat stuffed with Andouille and Tasso sausages, pan fried and topped with a terrific Andouille cream sauce.
 
The chicken came with two side choices.  On the advice of the best waitress we have experienced since we started this journey, Jez, we chose the Cream Corn Souffle (I also could have made a meal from this).  The souffle was as light as any souffle I have ever had, but was covered in a sweet butter.  It would have been great on any Thanksgiving table. 
 
Our second side was one that gives me pause even saying it, but because it had been highlighted on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, it was was one we felt that we should try - BBQ Spaghetti!  Jez said that people come from near and far to eat this, but I think that the same shredded pork that was great on the potato skins would have been better without the pasta.  It was worth a try - once was enough for me.

Wendy and I don't mind sharing appetizers and entrees, but we like to order our own desserts (sharing tastes, but not the whole thing).  Wendy ordered a small serving - large by any other establishment's measures.  Wendy didn't care for the pudding.  We both agreed that the pudding was thin, but I liked the flavor.  I thought it tasted of bananas and cream - what more does anyone need except Mississippi Mud Pie covered in marshmallows, pecans and mocha ice cream!!!  I was able to eat the ice cream so that I could bring the pie home.  I'm sure that it will taste as good as it looks!!!
 
I ordered a pork steak, baked potato, baked beans and banana pudding to go for my husband who is not fond of trying new places and loves that Wendy and I will venture out, call if things seem like he would like them and bring carry out home to him.  He enjoyed the pork steak, said it was tender, had great flavor, wasn't the typical fatty St. Louis pork steak and was HUGE.  The potato was also gigantic (the menu says it weighs a pound) and the bean were well seasoned and possibly some of the best he's had to eat.  His banana pudding waits in the refrigerator.
   
Wendy ordered Jambalaya for her mom.  We'll have to wait for her opinion until later.

Overall, 61 Roadhouse was a big hit.  I look forward to going back with my family and may even try the Sunday Brunch.  Check out their website for specials and highlights at www.hwy61roadhouse.com

Check back next week.  We are planning to visit one of the two places Jez recommended.  The choices:  Fritaga or Fork and Stix.









No comments:

Post a Comment